organic skin care for eczema
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 in News by Heather Hamilton
I have been receiving emails from concerned and discouraged moms who have children suffering from eczema. Although my own children, thankfully, do not suffer from it, I have witnessed cases from mild to severe.
Eczema, also called atopic dermatitis, can be commonly characterized by severely dry, itchy and irritated skin. Causes range from environmental and food allergens as well as genetics.
Although there are many factors that affect eczema, your child’s skin care products and routine can have a significant impact on your child’s eczema. Here is a list of suggestions I have compiled. I would love for you to add to the list, by sharing your personal stories in the comments section!
- Keep bath time relatively short. Most kids love baths, so don’t deprive them of playing in the tub, just don’t let them turn into prunes.
- Avoid using soaps and shampoos that contain sulfates, fragrances or other harsh and drying chemicals. We created a fabulous organic baby bath tea that we believe is a perfect alternative to soap.
- Moisturize as soon as they get out of the bath. Rather than a regular lotion, try using a natural massage oil or balm, particularly on the hot spots.
- Reapply moisturizing balms often. Balms are effective because they contain rich oils and wax that create a barrier and hold in much-needed moisture.
- Natural remedies can be just as effective as medication such as steroids. Just be sure that the products you choose are pure and natural; free from synthetic fragrances and hidden chemicals.
- Calendula is a popular herbal remedy for eczema. It has antibacterial properties and is known as an immuno-stimulant. A common use for Calendula is to treat minor skin infections. Our organic diaper cream, organic body cream and organic baby bath teas contain significant amounts of Calendula.
- Of course fabrics, textiles, detergents and household cleaners which come in contact with your child’s skin play a role too! One of my favorite resources for information on maintaining a healthy lifestyle and avoiding harmful toxins is Healthy Child Healthy World.
If your child suffers from eczema and you would like to try a sample of Zoe Organics gourmet skin care, please send me an email with your mailing address: heather[at]zoe-organics.com.
My heart goes out to all you moms who are desperate to find a solution for your child’s eczema. I will continue to research ingredients and solutions for your little ones!