NEW! Insect Repellent Spray, Repel Blend and Refill!
Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2020 in News by Heather Hamilton
Insect Repellent certainly doesn't seem like the most exciting or glamorous product, but if you have ever tried to enjoy a warm summer evening outside and have been eaten alive by mosquitoes, you know how valuable a good repellent is. But nobody likes to smell stinky, or feel sticky, or knowingly slather questionable toxins on their skin. So we choose between what we consider to be the lessor of two evils. Well, now you don't have to!
Zoe Organics launched our first Insect Repellent back in 2012 when we started looking for something better to use on our kids' skin. DEET and other ingredients in conventional repellents were controversial and we felt like we could use the best of nature to help naturally repel insects.
Our first Insect Repellent product was made from an oil base of organic, non-GMO soybean oil, castor seed oil and a blend of essential oils and extracts. It was really lovely and was featured in O Magazine, Conde Nast Traveler, and Into the Gloss, but there were a few things that we wanted to improve upon. So this year, we took our formula back to our lab and reworked it to come up with not one, but two insect repelling products that provide safe, natural (and quite lovely smelling) options for the whole family!
What we changed for Zoe Organics Insect Repellent:
1. We wanted a lighter option that dispensed as a fine mist spray, rather than a stream of oil. Dispensing the product was a bit awkward. Our new formula is lightweight and easier to apply. You can cover skin and hair, and don't have to worry about it leaving oil stains on most fabrics.
2. An oil-based product can feel too heavy in warm weather, so we replaced the soybean oil with a beautiful certified organic rosemary hydrosol that that we sourced directly from a small husband and wife owned farm in the pacific northwest. Not only is rosemary a natural repellent, but the hydrosol feels so refreshing.
What we did NOT change:
- All ingredients in the formula are still certified organic and sourced from trusted, reputable suppliers.
- The wonderful smelling essential oil blend that makes this repellent a joy to wear.
- The effectiveness of the product in repelling mosquitoes.
- All ingredients are listed as active minimum risk pesticides by the EPA and are exempt from registration under FIFRA 25(b).
Introducing our new Repel Blend:
Our insect repellent essential oil blend made up of rose geranium, lemongrass, peppermint, clove, cedarwood and thyme, smells SO good. Not like something you would ever associate with a conventional insect repellent. Even most natural repellents on the market smell overwhelmingly like citronella.
Zoe Organics Repel Blend is really versatile. Use it in your diffuser, put some in a spray bottle with distilled water or witch hazel and spritz into the air or onto surfaces. Add 6 drops to each ounce of carrier oil and apply to skin (this may be a gentler option for babies or young children).
Insect Repellent Refill:
Our 2.7 fl oz bottle is TSA friendly and a great size for taking on outdoor adventures. We decided to discontinue the 4 fl oz size and offer a 9.5 fl oz earth-friendly refill at a 20% bulk discount so you can refill your bottle.
We'll say it again, this isn't your ordinary insect repellent. Use it in the woods, or at an outdoor wedding. Staying bite free and smelling (and feeling) great while doing so, don't have to be mutually exclusive.