(M)ovember :: Celebrating Our Men
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2012 in The Conscious Living Blog by Heather Hamilton
I have one living grandfather, a dad, a father-in-law, a brother, a brother-in-law, a husband, two sons, 5 uncles, 4 cousins...and many other beloved men in my life. Each have had a significant impact on me, some have helped shape who I am.
When my husband first told me about "Movember" I honestly thought it was a just an excuse for him to grow a moustache, despite my usual protests. However, after spending time learning about it, I realized how significant the cause is and what a great (and funny!) way it is to spark conversation and bring awareness to the vital issue of men's health.
Movember’s tagline, changing the face of men’s health, aptly describes participating in Movember – changing your appearance by growing a moustache for 30 days, and the outcome – changing the understanding and attitudes men have towards their health. The Mo is Movember’s ribbon; it’s the catalyst for change.
Here is now it works: On November 1st, men begin with a clean shaven face. Then, throughout the month, they grow and preen their own perfect version of the moustache. For 30 days, ladies, we support them and celebrate them and bring awareness to men's health; in particular - prostate and testicular cancer.
Here are some facts, taken from the Prostate Cancer Foundation:
- Prostate cancer is the most common non-skin cancer in America, affecting 1 in 6 men. There are more than 27 types of prostate cancer.
- In 2012, more than 242,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer, and more than 28,000 men will die from the disease. One new case occurs every 2.1 minutes and a man dies from prostate cancer every 18.6 minutes.
- It is estimated that there are more than 2 million American men currently living with prostate cancer.
- A man is 35% more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer than a woman is to be diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Because approximately 90% of all prostate cancers are detected in the local and regional stages, the cure rate for prostate cancer is very high—nearly 100% of men diagnosed at this stage will be disease-free after five years.
Additionally, Movember reports that:
- On average men die five to six years younger than women.
- The suicide rate is four times higher for men than women.
- More than five men die prematurely each hour from potentially preventable illnesses.
- There’s no biological disadvantage putting men at greater risk and, according to research, up to half of male cancer cases could be prevented by making healthier diet and lifestyle choices.
I know, Zoe Organics has primarily focused on babies and their mamas up to this point, but a big part of our recent rebranding, to focus on the conscious family, is an effort to celebrate our men and offer them skincare and lifestyle product solutions as well. After all, my husband is a Bath Wash die-hard and claims it gives him the best shave ever (and he's not alone!). He has also been asking for some men-specific products and I think its about time!
This month, Zoe Organics is participating in Movember. We have set up a Mo Profile and encourage you to join! You can register as a "Mo Bro" or a "Mo Sista". All we ask is that you help to bring awareness to the issue and celebrate the men in your life. It can be as simple as asking whether or not one has had a health checkup in the past year. If you wish to donate to the cause, there is a place on our team page and all proceeds go to the Movember Foundation, Prostate Cancer Foundation and Livestrong Foundation.
Additionally, we are going to run a fun little contest of our own this month! We want to see some handsome faces and moustaches! Here's how the contest will work:
During the month of November, we are asking men to submit at least one photo of their mug to firstname.lastname@example.org. Photo can be of themselves shaving their face clean today, or at any stage of moustache growth. After today, the photo must show some sort of moustache growth. We will be sharing some of your photos on our Facebook page (and please post them yourselves!!). Remember, the whole point of this is to raise awareness, so let's have some fun with this get the conversation going!
Contest runs from today, November 1st through December 1st. On December 10th we will announce 3 winners; 1st place winner will win a $100 gift coupon to www.zoeorganics.com! Second place winner will receive a $25 gift coupon to www.zoeorganics.com and a 5.3 oz Bath Wash and 3rd place winner will receive a 5.3 oz Bath Wash. Winning photos will be posted on our blog, and social media sites.
So, get on it! Women - go love your men, and men - get your faces clean and smooth because you have a moustache to grow!