Pregnancy Essentials by Trimester
Posted on Friday, July 17, 2015 in The Conscious Living Blog by Heather Hamilton
I absolutely loved being pregnant. I’m so grateful to have had 3 really healthy, low maintenance pregnancies. My pregnancy essentials did change quite a bit from my first pregnancy to my last, for a couple of reasons. First, I had changed! There was something pretty magical that happened when I had my first baby. My priorities and perspective changed. My focus shifted from myself to my child. The second and third time around, I had other young children to care for, so my focus was on quality, functionality, convenience and comfort. I also became more conscious of how my choices impacted my body (and developing baby) and the environment. The second reason my essentials changed is because I learned that I really only needed half of the “stuff” I thought I needed. I have become progressively minimalistic with age and this applies to baby + child essentials too! So, without further ado, here are my top 10 pregnancy essentials after having 3 of my own.
1. Ginger Brew: Although I was able to stomach food during my pregnancies, I was extremely sensitive to smells and would get queasy. This ginger brew was always soothing and a special, refreshing treat.
2. Aromatherapy: Peppermint and ginger are incredibly effective against queasiness from morning and motion sickness. I started using this during my first trimester and still have one in my purse. It’s one of those staples you don’t want to leave home without. Of course, now I’m using it as a pick-me-up!
3. Prenatal vitamin: All vitamins are not created equal, and this raw prenatal from The Vitamin Code is awesome because it is uncooked, untreated and unadulterated, with no binders or fillers and dairy-free and gluten-free. It is easy on the tummy and contains added probiotics. Keep taking it for as long as you breastfeed.
4. Magnesium supplement: I experienced postpartum anxiety and found tremendous relief with Magnesium supplementation. Had I know then what I know now, I would have been taking this throughout my pregnancy (and never stopped).
5. Skin conditioner for belly, breasts and hips: As the founder and formulator of Zoe Organics, its safe to say, I’m a pretty big fan of the Belly Oil and Belly Butter. These products are 100% organic, concentration and loaded with nutrients for your skin. Use postpartum as well to support skin’s strength and elasticity as it shrinks back down. It can also reduce the redness and appearance of stretchmarks.
6. Water Bottle: I have to make a conscious effort to drink water, except while pregnant. I couldn’t go anywhere without a water bottle. I’m a huge fan of these glass Lifefactory bottles with the straw cap and I love the different colors too!
7. Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth: I worked as a doula at a birth center in Orange County for a year before launching Zoe Organics and this was one of my favorite books. I always recommend it to my mama friends and clients.
8. Comfortable shoes: When I was pregnant, my favorite and most worn pair of shoes were Birkenstocks. They weren’t exactly in style, but I wore them anyway! Your poor feet take a beating with the extra weight they carry around. Be good to them.
9. Nursing Bra: Treat yourself to some really good nursing bras. Since the size of your breasts will change throughout your pregnancy and into the first weeks postpartum, get fitted for the correct size and then splurge on something that feels really good, is functional and that you can comfortably sleep in.
10. Pregnancy Pillow: Sleep just isn’t something to sacrifice and a body pillow may become your best friend while pregnant. I used mine for sleeping and lounging and brought mine with me when I traveled. Comfort during pregnancy is a necessity. If you aren’t comfortable, you can’t relax and won’t get the rest your body and mind need.
What are some of your pregnancy must-haves? Please share in the comments below!